POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lightning in movies : Re: Lightning in movies Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:25:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightning in movies
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 7 Sep 2008 14:24:20
Message: <48c41c54$1@news.povray.org>

news:48c40bf8@news.povray.org...

>    Yes, why do Americans never say "goodbye" to the other person on the
> 'phone?? They just put the thing down... (in films I've seen anyway), but
> is this typical in real life?

Movie characters (American or not) are typically rude to each other. Even in
non-violent movies people do and say things to each other that should land
them in anger management therapy, if not in court or jail, but other
characters don't seem to bother that much (unless it's part of the plot of
the plot). It's an entire autistic world where regular ethics and personal
feelings do not exist and don't matter. An egregious example (among
thousands) is Julia Robert's character in "My best friend's wedding", who
does lots of wrong things (including trying to get her best friend sacked by
sending bogus emails from his boss' account, and later stealing a truck and
starting a car chase) and five minutes later everything's forgiven and
everybody's happy and friends again. Suspension of disbelief is your friend,
fortunately.
IIRC "True lies" made fun of this convention during the horse chase, with
Schwarzenegger saying "sorry" and "excuse me" to everyone who got in his
way, and this was played for comical purpose.

G.